Saturday, May 28, 2011

Slowing Down

So here we are in the midst of the EHV virus, our barn has a self-imposed quarantine which means no one trailers their horses in or out until our barn owner gives the o.k.
  This is not unusual as it seems many facilities and organizations are canceling or closing use.
My Mt.Adams ride was canceled by my own decision. The Flying M Ranch Poker ride was canceled-the ranch itself has decided to close it's grounds.  The Klickitat trek ride is canceled because the ride camp is based at property owned by a rodeo association that doesn't want horses on the property right now.
  So there are three of my big weekends ...
I was really bummed about it because I bought a wonderful trailer earlier this spring and my horse has been in it exactly ONCE!
I planned, packed and saved to do these events.
  But here is the good part.....
I've slowed down. I'm riding now and just enjoying the experience, I don't have to trot for a certain amount of time nor do I need to keep track of heart rate. Instead of counting the number of minutes or loops I do I'm noticing how many shades of green a 40 acre of hay has in it. I see the hawks, herons, coyotes and deer. I'm not scaring them either because I'm moving slow not racing through their space.
  I'm focusing on my arena time and seeing it as what is needed right now for my own development as well as for my horse.
 I'm happy that no one I know has a horse affected by the virus and if it means staying put for a few weeks then  so be it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment